Several months back I wrote a blog post on an undercover news story in Atlanta that found several HVAC companies that where dishonest with consumers when diagnosing problems with their home air conditioners.
Recently, on The Today Show, an undercover A/C Repairer Rossen Report found six out of six HVAC companies did not correctly diagnose the loose wire in an otherwise functioning air conditioner. Not only that, but one company even tried to sell the homeowner a part that wasn't even in the air conditioner!
We believe the best customer is an informed customer! Arm yourself with information so your business doesn't fall victim to unscrupulous contractors.
5 Ways to Avoid Dishonest HVAC and Portable Air Conditioning Companies
- Know your equipment -- Go on, find your operator's manual. At the very least, you should know what kind of equipment you have. If you can't find your manual, go to the equipment and copy down the information on the equipment nameplate. Better yet, take a digital picture with your phone. Then you can zoom in on the small numbers you probably can't read anyway!
- Write down a brief description of the problem -- Don't just call a contractor and say, "The unit doesn't work." The more you can describe the problem, the more knowledgeable you will actually sound.
- Remain calm and carry on -- When you call, don't make it sound like the world will end if the air conditioner is not fixed. Panic often equates to after-hours, expensive service calls.
- Ask for a recommendation -- Get some proof of the work the contractor has done for other businesses in your building or industry. Ask the building engineer or property manager for a list of recommended contractors. The Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA) web site has a fantastic locator service -- All you need to do is enter your zip code along with a few other items and you'll get a list of member contractors in your area.
- Have your equipment serviced regularly -- Here's the no-brainer of the day! Your HVAC contractor can be your friend! Regular appointments to service your existing equipment are the BEST way to guarantee your equipment is in prime shape during peak performance season. And you're far less likely to be taken to the proverbial cleaners when you need emergency service.
If you're looking for an emergency air conditioning service provider, look no further. Emergency service is our specialty! We work with many national accounts to provide portable air conditioning to companies with mutliple sites, nationwide.
Not sure what you need in a spot cooling emergency? In a few clicks, you can download your free guide.